A witness who dropped stunning testimony at the war crimes trial of a decorated Navy SEAL by telling the court he had killed an Islamic State captive in Iraq in 2017 — not his accused platoon chief — could now face charges of perjury, according to the Navy. The Navy's legal adviser to the commander overseeing the court-martial of Special Operations Chief Edward Gallagher notified the witness's lawyer, Brian Ferguson, in an email late Tuesday that the testimony Corey Scott gave last week could be used against him if he lied on the stand or gave a false statement. Cmdr. Tam Lawrence, Naval Special Warfare spokesperson, said Scott was granted immunity in exchange for the promise of truthful testimony.
International - Yahoo - Business, real-estate
In a somewhat bizarre, and yet entertaining, new commercial, Arnold Schwarzenegger goes "undercover" and tries to convince prospective EV buyers to get a gas-powered car instead. The ad itself was put together by Veloz, a California non-profit keen on accelerating the adoption of electric vehicles across the country. The ad is essentially a tongue-in-cheek effort to extol the virtues of electric cars by highlighting the drawbacks of traditional gas-powered vehicles. As a quick example, Schwarzenegger at one point brings out a Hummer and starts aggressively revving the engine and causing a lot of uncomfortable noise in the process. "Can a battery-powered car do this," Schwarzenegger asks rhetorically while sitting behind the wheel. When a prospective EV buyers says that the noise would annoy his neighbors, Schwarzenegger comedically responds: "You're god**** right it will impress your neighbors. This is testosterone!" When another customer tells Schwarzenegger that he's intrigued by the tax credit afforded to EV buyers, the former Governor of California exclaims, "You want a tax credit or do you want to have street credit?" Later on, Schwarzenegger -- who goes by the name Howard Kleiner in the commercial -- tries to argue that the pollution caused by gas-powered vehicles is actually a good thing because it helps stem population growth. All in all, the commercial is well done and the entire thing can be viewed below. There's even a subtle shout out to one of Schwarzenegger's all-time great movie lines if you pay close attention: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=111&v=rXodSqMpuUQ
Jim Watson/AFP/GettyIn the opening moments of Wednesday night’s first Democratic debate, it was clear where the spotlight was: on Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA), the highest-polling candidate of the 10 presidential hopefuls on stage in Miami. The debate’s moderators directed four questions to Warren in the first 20 minutes, more than any other candidate, and those questions touched at the heart of her policy agenda — the economy, income inequality, and sweeping change to the nation’s health care system.That gave Warren an opportunity to get at the heart of her stump speech from the get-go. “We need to make structural change in our government and our economy and in our country,” she said to wrap up the debate’s first answer, to applause. The rest of the field found themselves chasing Warren’s agenda, too, illustrating just how much the liberal senator has set the policy framework of the crowded 2020 primary. The first question, for example, directed to Sen. Cory Booker (D-N.J.) was framed as a response to an idea championed by Warren: breaking up Facebook, Amazon, and Google, something Booker has criticized. “Why do you disagree?” he was asked. In recent weeks, Warren has surged to the top tier of the two dozen-strong field of Democrats after a shaky first stretch in the race. Several polls have shown her trailing only former Vice President Joe Biden and Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT) nationally and in key states, even surpassing Sanders in some surveys. Read more at The Daily Beast.Got a tip? Send it to The Daily Beast hereGet our top stories in your inbox every day. Sign up now!Daily Beast Membership: Beast Inside goes deeper on the stories that matter to you. Learn more.
Venezuela's socialist government said Wednesday it had derailed a coup bid, claiming the United States, Colombia and Chile colluded in a military plot to assassinate President Nicolas Maduro and install a general and former defense minister in his place. Venezuelan Communications Minister Jorge Rodriguez earlier said the alleged coup involved active duty and retired military officers, and was to have been executed between Sunday and Monday this past weekend.
SpaceX launched its Falcon Heavy rocket in the early hours of Tuesday morning, delivering 24 satellites into orbit and making many of its clients very happy in the process. The company nailed the landing of both side boosters, but the center core booster narrowly missed its landing and splashed down in the ocean instead.In the hours following the launch, SpaceX boss Elon Musk weighed in on the unfortunate fate of the core booster, offering a bit of an explanation as to why it missed its mark.In a response to a question on Twitter, Musk explained that the booster was likely damaged early in its descent back to Earth, and that this damage ultimately caused a failure and prevented the booster from being able to control itself enough to make a safe landing.https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1143690145255841797If the booster was indeed damaged as it began to head back towards Earth, it's actually rather impressive that it managed to make it as close to the drone ship as it did. At one point it appeared that it might come down perfectly, only to drift off to the side at the very last moment.SpaceX has now failed to stick the core booster landing with all three of its Falcon Heavy launches. It's not the end of the world, but securing that component could save the company a lot of cash in the long run and they'd like to be able to pull off the landing consistently.It's hardly a worst-case scenario for SpaceX if it has to spend a few boosters while it perfects its technique, especially since the rockets are consistently delivering their payloads as planned. If nothing else, it's something SpaceX can continue to work on over the next year as it prepares for its next scheduled Falcon Heavy launch in late 2020.
The Galaxy Note 10 is launching soon, complete with a brand new design and a few novel features, but this Samsung flagship will be at least as expensive as the Galaxy S10 series that launched earlier this year. And if you’re gunning for a 5G version of the Note 10, then you’ll have to pay even more. But Samsung is also doing something it hasn’t done before; it’s working on a brand new flagship device that won't be as expensive as the S10 or Note 10. Moreover, this rumored Galaxy A90 phone will deliver 5G connectivity as well as 45W charging speeds -- something that hasn't been available on any Samsung flagship to date. Leaks from the usual suspects say the Galaxy A90 will run on the same Qualcomm processor that powers some of the Galaxy S10 and Note 10 versions, including the 5G models. That’s the Snapdragon 855, of course -- a chip found inside many of this year’s Android flagships. https://twitter.com/OnLeaks/status/1143535173612556288 Both A90 models will also feature 6.7-inch displays with in-display fingerprint sensors, according to @OnLeaks, as well as triple lens cameras. However, the camera specs won’t be identical. Also interesting is that the 5G phone won’t have whatever Tilt optical image stabilization, whereas the 4G version will get it. Unlike the other Samsung flagships, the A90 isn't supposed to feature a front-facing camera. Instead, the triple-lens camera will have a pop-up rotary design which will let you use it for both selfies and regular photos. The other leaker that has referenced the Galaxy A90 in the past is Ice Universe, and he also mentioned the same Snapdragon 855 SoC for the phone: https://twitter.com/UniverseIce/status/1142700778466897921 Previous leaks also claimed that the Galaxy A90 will get 45W fast charging, which is even faster than what the Galaxy S10 can do. We’ve seen conflicting rumors about the Note 10’s battery charging speed, with Ice saying that the Pro version of the phone might still support 45W, while the regular model will only support 25W. That said, we have no idea how much the Galaxy A90 phones will cost or when they’ll be available. The Galaxy Note 10, meanwhile, is expected to hit stores in the second half of August.
The Prynt Pocket Instant Photo Printer for iPhone has to be one of the coolest things we've come across in quite some time. Remember how old Kodak instant cameras would print photos without the need for ink, since the film itself would show the image after a minute or so? Well the Prynt mobile printer works in the same way, using "ZINK" (zero ink) sticker paper to print photos in about 30 seconds without the need for ink. You can print from your camera roll using this awesome printer attachment, or even from Instagram! Definitely check it out.Here's more info from the product page: * Turn your iPhone into an instant camera ½ the size of the Original Prynt case, with an easy-to-remove paper cartridge * Print photos from your phone (even Instagram), or take new ones- printed in 30 seconds * Add a video to your Prynt and watch it come to Life with the app * No Ink necessary- photos are printed directly onto zink (zero Ink) sticker paper- the only photo paper compatible with Prynt pocket * Peel off the adhesive backing to turn any photo into a sticker! Compatible with the Apple iPhone X, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPhone 5s, iPhone 5
Infighting at the National Rifle Association exploded Wednesday, when the powerful association severed ties with its longtime public relations firm, suspended operations of its fiery online TV station and lost its top lobbyist. The latest turmoil emerged just a year before the critical 2020 presidential elections when the NRA's ability to influence the outcome could decide the fate of gun rights. Lobbyist Chris Cox, long viewed as the likely successor to longtime CEO Wayne LaPierre, was placed on administrative leave about a week ago by the NRA, which claimed he was part of a failed attempt to extort LaPierre and push him out.
Officials have informed a Navy SEAL witness that he could face a perjury charge after he testified that he — and not Special Operations Chief Edward Gallagher— had killed an Islamic State prisoner in Iraq. In an email sent Tuesday to a lawyer for Special Operator First Class Corey Scott, the Navy said it was considering charging Scott with lying under oath during Gallagher's court-martial.
The family of a scholar from China killed by a former University of Illinois doctoral student says they're aware he offered to divulge where her remains were but weren't convinced the body would actually be found. The defense said in a Tuesday filing that Christensen made the offer, asking for a life sentence in exchange. Jurors convicted Christensen Monday in a federal death-penalty trial of kidnapping Zhang in 2017 and beating her to death.
The Senate on Wednesday passed a $4.6 billion spending package to alleviate the ongoing crisis at the southern border, just moments after rejecting a similar emergency-funding bill advanced by House Democrats that included restrictions on the funding of certain border-enforcement measures.Speaker Nancy Pelosi, who shepherded the more restrictive spending bill through the House on Tuesday, announced her caucus's opposition to the Senate bill before it was voted on, ensuring a contentious reconciliation process between the two chambers before a final bill can be sent to President Trump's desk.“They pass their bill, we respect that,” Pelosi said Wednesday. “We passed our bill, we hope they would respect that. And there are some improvements that we think can be reconciled.”Republican lawmakers have emphasized the urgency of the border crisis in asking their Democratic colleagues to avoid a protracted reconciliation process by passing the Senate spending bill immediately, before lawmakers leave town for the one-week July 4 recess.Addressing his colleagues on the Senate floor before the vote on Wednesday, Majority Leader Mitch McConnell emphasized the bipartisan support behind the upper chamber's spending bill, which ultimately passed 84–8.“The House has not made much progress toward actually making a law, just more resistance theater,” McConnell said. “The Senate has a better and more bipartisan way forward.”“It’s a productive compromise that would go a long way to begin to address the border crisis: no poison pills, just a clean bill,” he added, referencing the restrictions placed on the use of funds in the House spending bill.The House bill, which fell 19 votes short of passage in the Senate, includes numerous humanitarian provisions related to the detention of migrants and restricts the amount of funding that can be allocated to enforcement mechanisms.The Senate bill, meanwhile, allocates $1.3 billion to improve the Border Patrol and HHS detention facilities, which have been overwhelmed by the 144,000 asylum-seekers that arrived at the border last month, as well as $2.9 billion to improve the medical care and supervision of migrant children, many of whom, according to multiple recent reports, have been deprived of basic hygiene products and proper beds due to lack of resources.House Democrats, particularly those in the progressive wing of the caucus, remain opposed to the Senate bill because they believe it does not do enough to ensure the humane treatment of migrants. Their bill would allow lawmakers to do unannounced checks of detention facilities, would mandate the provision of certain hygiene products, and would limit the amount of time children can be detained to just 90 days.
WASHINGTON/SEATTLE, June 26 (Reuters) - The U.S. Federal Aviation Administration has identified a new risk that Boeing Co must address on its 737 MAX before the grounded jet can return to service, the agency said on Wednesday. The risk was discovered during a simulator test last week and it is not yet clear if the issue can be addressed with a software upgrade or will require a more complex hardware fix, sources with knowledge of the matter told Reuters. The FAA did not elaborate on the latest setback for Boeing, which has been working to get its best-selling airplane back in the air following a worldwide grounding in March in the wake of two deadly crashes within five months.
WASHINGTON/SEATTLE (Reuters) - The U.S. Federal Aviation Administration has identified a new risk that Boeing Co must address on its 737 MAX before the grounded jet can return to service, the agency said on Wednesday. The risk was discovered during a simulator test last week and it is not yet clear if the issue can be addressed with a software upgrade or will require a more complex hardware fix, sources with knowledge of the matter told Reuters. The FAA did not elaborate on the latest setback for Boeing, which has been working to get its best-selling airplane back in the air following a worldwide grounding in March in the wake of two deadly crashes within five months.
Hochholdinger, a former production executive at Volkswagen AG, is the latest high-profile executive to leave Tesla in the past two years as the automaker struggles to ramp up production of Model 3, which is seen as crucial for its long-term profitability. At Volkswagen, Hochholdinger spent 22 years supervising the production of Audi A4, A5 and Q5 models. Both Tesla and Hochholdinger did not respond to requests for comment.
Hong Kong protesters marched to major consulates on Wednesday in a call for G20 nations to confront fellow member China over sliding freedoms in the financial hub, at a weekend summit in Japan. The semi-autonomous city has been shaken by huge demonstrations this month, with protesters demanding the withdrawal of a bill that would allow extraditions to the Chinese mainland. The massive rallies are the latest manifestation of growing fears that China is stamping down on the city's unique freedoms and culture.
Venezuela's socialist government said Wednesday it has derailed an attempted coup, claiming the United States, Colombia and Chile colluded in a plot by officers to assassinate President Nicolas Maduro and install a general in his place, a minister said. Communications Minister Jorge Rodriguez said the plan involved both active and retired army officers and was to have been executed between Sunday and Monday this past weekend.